Wednesday 19 September 2012

young mothers

After what I'm convinced is baby brain knocked my confidence to finding a nursing post when Nelly was around 3 months (in theory this was simple, in reality she is now 9 months, still exclusively breastfeeding plus I'm now single) my head lately has been whizzing around trying to figure out where I'm to take my skills, experience and training and what direction to go... I'd like to think I'm an inquisitive and motivated person and have been seeking a new 'path' in a way...

a few personal points lately also led me to where I'm taking this post...

I stumbled upon permaculture not so long ago (more about permaculture in an upcoming post) and the people care aspect really got me thinking...

about the 'types' of people who could benefit from network/community support...

which then, led me to search for available services available for teenage mums...

which in turn led me to search for blogs written by teenage mums...

as with any ideas and thoughts a web of never ending observations, thoughts, images etc accumulates and you arrive at a destination of sorts!

stay with me here!

the nurse in me has been checking out NICE guidelines and I am aware I have a long way to seek before I arrive at the bigger picture of available support...

however.... in case you were wondering...


  • the UK still has the one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancy in Western Europe
  • about one in 15 of all births are to young mothers (those under 20)
  • teens are three times more likely to suffer postnatal depression than older mums
  • teens are also a third less likely to breastfeed than older mums...
(ref: Department for Children, Schools and Families Publications, 2008)



the statistics go on, and on, and on.....

I'm still thinking about all this and what's being done and what needs to change...

I can't help feeling personally this is a social class issue rather than an age issue and this is where society is missing the point...

I've also asked my Facebook friends list to play a word association game when you mention the words 'teenage mum'... no Jeremy Kyle jokes as yet...






Is there enough support for pregnant teens?

Has society swept them under the carpet due to the public perception of teenage mothers?

What is your initial association with teen mums?

Were you a teenage mum?

Are you a teenage mum?

What can multi- agencies (healthcare, schools, charities, etc) do to improve services to teenage mothers and mother to be?














3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you found my blog and I found yours. I couldn't agree with you more on these points. I don't think enough is done anywhere for young teens. It has always been a dream of mine to start an organization that helps teenage moms go to college, give them parenting classes and other classes that will help them in life and be more successful. One day. . . one day. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! Education, empowerment...I think one of the greatest gifts you can give a child is self esteem!! Definitely parenting classes, health awareness, all kinds of skills to be the best from day one not just for the next generation but for themselves! Ourselves even :)

      Delete
  2. As you looked at my blog angie thought I would return the favour hope you don't mind :) Some good points and agree more needs to be done to support teen mums. Giving them the opportunity to do something other than be a mum would probably help as it would maybe give them more confidence in themselves. I also feel this could help them in the future to better their chances of 'jobs' or 'careers' later on. Not only this but it may also help improve teen mums perception within society as not 'just another teen out for everything they can get from the state'. I know not all teen mums are that but on a whole the group is generalised as that. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete